Skip to main content

Today I'm useless

     Somedays all you can do is sit there and stare at your kids. I wish life was like a parenting magazine. Where the mom's are flawless and they are artistic and creative and the kids just glow. And their houses are trendy and clean and all the white surfaces are flawless. And they all eat these fancy gluten free meals with organic everything. Blah blah blah. I call that giving mom's unrealistic expectations. The raw truth of it is that somedays you can barely hold your head up. I'm gonna guess that the professionals who put these magazines together either have nannies for their kids, so it's easy for them to dance a jig and click their heels in front of a camera with their kids because that 5 minutes is the only time they've spent with their kids that week. Or they are the type of women who never had kids but think they know EXACTLY what every mom should be like. Or maybe im just an exceptionally tired mother.
     Today I took my kids in a volunteer bible ministry that we participate in several times a week. We are Jehovah's witnesses. I will often make reference to things that we believe, or activities we participate in. (If any of you readers have questions you can go on Jw.org and request a visit from someone in your area, or look up any question you have about us in that same website.) It's alot of work to get the kids dressed, Liddy nursed, Rowan fed, me dressed (and dressed again because Liddy has spit up on my first outfit), and get out the door and to meet up with our other friends who participate in our ministry by 9am. By the time we get started I already need a nap! And Rowan loves to start his fits and terror attacks at the most inconvenient times. So by the time I get home I'm fried. The days I do this ministry I'm useless the rest of the day. But it's a wonderful work, and I don't mind the exhaustion because I know I did a good work for the day. It does though make it hard for me to be a "fun" mom for the rest of the day. So I sit and watch TV and roll trucks around the floor and hold Lydia. The pile of towels that needs to be folded is still sitting here next to me. The bathroom still needs to be cleaned. The dishwasher unloaded and loaded again. But I can't. I'm so tired that if I laid my head down this moment I'd fall asleep. Of course days like this I have the ultimate mom guilt. I know that I should get my butt up and be more proactive. I know that Rowan has exceeded his screen time for the day. I know that leftovers for dinner is nobody's favorite. I know that Lydia needs a bath, and I need to start a load of laundry and soak Will's work shirts in stain fighter. I know i desperately need to go thru Rowan's toys and my clothes and the storage closet and bag up the stuff to yard sale in a few weeks. But I just can't. All I can do is sit here.
     The kids spent their morning surrounded by spiritual thoughts, they have been fed (a total of 6 times already for Liddy), and they have been hugged, kissed, and told they are loved. So I guess even though that's all I've managed to do, that's a good enough day. And maybe there is some magical fairy unicorn mom somewhere who can do it all every day! And all I have to say to that is "whoopee freakin doo". Maybe she should find out what makes her the way she is and sell it. But then again I'd be too busy sitting here staring at my kids and I wouldn't go out and buy it anyway.

-Nina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another mommy blogger?

Well I suppose I should start with an introduction. I'm Nina. I'm 21 years old. I raise my 2 babies in a small town. A really small town. I'm a stay at home mom who has always enjoyed writing and Journaling my life. Fortunately, when you have 2 kids you NEVER run out of things to talk about. Since I had my son (Rowan), I'd put posts on instagram with long endless thoughts of how I view motherhood. Now I also have a daughter (Lydia "Liddy") and my views of motherhood continue to change and adjust with each day. Many of my friends have consistently encouraged me to start blogs or write books or submit articles. So I figure the blog is a good place to start.     My days consist of chasing Rowan (2 and half years) while Liddy (3 months) is attached to my boob (all day, every day). I never have quiet shower time. I cook and clean one handed. I recently just chopped my hair off so that I can just wake up and hit the floor running (after Rowan usually). My husband w

I should probably write Bi-lo an apology for today

     I'm not sure if I'm brave or crazy. It's a fine line I often find myself on. But nevertheless I decided I was going to take my two kids to the grocery store alone. Since my daughter was born I've always had my husband go with me to do major shopping. I can handle a quick run thru for a few things with the two of them. But I have never shopped like this without my husband. The cabinets were bare and I really couldn't wait until 7 o'clock tonight.      I loaded the kiddos up at 8:30am and headed first for an oil change. While we waited at walmart, Rowan terrorized the toy department. I'm so sorry to the walmart employees who had to clean up the mess. I tried to put things back as best I could. When the oil change was finished we went out to the car and Rowan proceeded to release himself from my grasp and run thru the parking lot. This kid has a death wish. I think I'm going to need to get a lasso. Next stop was goodwill to find Will (husband) some wor

Growing up

     Rowan will be 3 this year. It seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital. We had no clue what we were doing. I had always imagined myself as a certain type of mom. But from the moment I heard his first little cry everything changed from what I thought it would be, to what it really was. And here we are almost 3 years later with TWO, and still things are never what I expect them to be.       Watching my babies grow up is the hardest part of this all. You give birth to this tiny little human who can barely keep their eyes open, and within 3 months they can roll, hold their heads up, smile and coo and laugh, and a month later they are eating cereals, and two more months after that they are crawling and pulling up and into EVERYTHING. By a year they are walking, backtalking, and stealing your French fries. To alot of people a year can drag on. But to parents, a year might as well be a week. It just goes too fast. I never thought Rowan would be a little boy